Old June 3rd 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default "LUL in a Day"

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
There are many ways that you can construct new rule sets. At one extreme
you could allow any means of transport over road sections (including
friends with cars, taxis etc), and at the other you could allow only
walking [I think that forbidding even walking would make the challenge
impossible].

For people to be able to compare your "achievement" with that of others,
unless you are the first to do something [1], then you really need to
attempt a recognised task [2], and abide by a recognised rule set, which
the Guinness one is.

[1] For example, has anyone taken a one-week British Rail Rover ticket and
attempted to cover that entire network?

A week? Surely it'd take *much* longer than that? Probably closer to at
least a month or two, possibly a fair bit longer, I'd have thought. There
are a *lot* of little branch lines, served by much more infrequent and
slower trains than on the main lines.

[2] Is "doing all the routes" (leaving aside the Watford North issue for a
moment), rather than "visiting all the stations" really different enough?
If there's really two hours spare, what about adding the DLR to the
challenge?

Well I think this particular challenge was pretty pointless (but hey, it's
not like the standard Tube Challenge could be construed as anything but!),
mainly because it didn't really set out all it set out to achieve. Assuming
there was a mistake in the write-up of the route and the person did cover
the District Line between Acton Town and Turnham Green, there's still the
fact that a lot of the lines have only been covered in one direction, so
actually the whole network hasn't been fully traversed. I'll stick to
aiming to doing all 275 (well, 274 if you don't count Shoreditch) in the
usual way!

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."