Old June 3rd 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Speller Paul Speller is offline

Default Bus pass and travelcard query

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:51:17 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Walter Briscoe wrote:
Can I suggest you try cycling? Borrow a bike for a week if you don't own
one. The main problem is that you will be sweaty on arriving at work.

Probably not. You only get sweaty if you ride like a mad fiend; you can do
a decent clip without breaking a sweat, perhaps except in the height of
summer, but then you're going to be sweating on the bus too!

Well I did start cycling to work once a week last year for a while
(largely to help me lose weight for my wedding, which worked to some
extent), but once the nights started drawing in and the weather turned
dodgy I stopped doing it. I'm afraid I did indeed arrive at work quite
sweaty, because, as you rightly say:

That part of London has some reasonable hills, though; i don't know what
the commute is, but it could be hard work.

I work in Bexleyheath, which is (as my untrained eye sees it) about the
highest point in the area. The cycle ride from here to there therefore
involves either one of the longest steepest hills in the area or an even
longer, slightly less steep hill - hence the sweaty arrival at work. I
have to say that the cycle ride home was thoroughly enjoyable though

Anyway, thanks to Walter for this additional suggestion, and to you for
your follow-up. I really ought to consider doing this again but I
remember how hard it was to get into it when I first started last year
and without the wedding as motivation I've thus far found it too hard to
convince myself to give it another go!

Paul