Old June 4th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default "LUL in a Day"

"Mark Brader" wrote:
"Peter" writes [rearranged for convenience in responding]:
Well I think this particular challenge was pretty pointless (but hey,
it's
not like the standard Tube Challenge could be construed as anything
but!),

Exactly! As pointless challenges go, I think it's as praiseworthy as any.

mainly because it didn't really set out all it set out to achieve.
... a lot of the lines have only been covered in one direction ...

That *was* what the person set out to achieve. All *routes*, not all
tracks.

Ok, maybe so, but it's still moving the goalposts though. W.R. Lynch's
basic theory was that they'd use the 2 1/4 hours "spare" to traverse every
section of network. But we're not compring like with like here. If they'd
used a bike on the regular Tube Challenge it would have *easily* been
possible to knock a fair bit of time off the current world record - probably
a good hour or so at least. This is why previous reecord holders have done
it in apparently much better times (see www.tubechallenge.com for more
info). So really there should be nearer 3 hours, possibly as much as 4
hours "spare" to cover unvisited sections of track.

Still, it's just got me examining my best (so far) "all stations" route
(theoretical though, haven't yet tested it) and working out what sections of
line I haven't done. Should be quite easy to do most of them just by means
of slight alterations and the occasional double-back, without affecting the
route in too big a way. Mind you - in connection with that - here's a
question - do the Jubilee and Metropolitan Lines share tracks between Baker
Street and Finchley Road?

Assuming there was a mistake in the write-up of the route and the
person did cover the District Line between Acton Town and Turnham Green,

No mistake; under the terms Lynch decided on, the District/Piccadilly
section from Ealing Common to Barons Court is one route and only had to
be done once. Lynch took the Piccadilly from Heathrow to Turnham Green.

I'm still not convinced. I don't think the Piccadilly Line passes through
Chiswick Park station (judging by the tube map) - but then again, having
just looked at the track markings on the London A-Z, it appears I've proved
myself wrong. Still I've typed it now, so it stays :-)

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."