Old June 4th 06, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default "LUL in a Day"

"Roland Perry" wrote in message basic theory was that
they'd use the 2 1/4 hours "spare" to traverse every
section of network. But we're not compring like with like here. If
they'd
used a bike on the regular Tube Challenge it would have *easily* been
possible to knock a fair bit of time off the current world record -
probably
a good hour or so at least. This is why previous reecord holders have
done
it in apparently much better times (see www.tubechallenge.com for more
info). So really there should be nearer 3 hours, possibly as much as 4
hours "spare" to cover unvisited sections of track.

This simply demonstrates the issues of making up a new rule set, when
there's a well (and independently) established rule set already.

True.

Still, it's just got me examining my best (so far) "all stations" route
(theoretical though, haven't yet tested it) and working out what sections
of
line I haven't done. Should be quite easy to do most of them just by
means
of slight alterations and the occasional double-back, without affecting
the
route in too big a way. Mind you - in connection with that - here's a
question - do the Jubilee and Metropolitan Lines share tracks between
Baker
Street and Finchley Road?

No, the Jubilee is in a tube tunnel, and the Metropolitan is in
traditional surface/cut-and-cover.

Right, ok. So it's at Finchley Road, where they both go overground, that
they both start sharing, right?

Another route that's "even more not the same" is Paddington to Baker St,
where the Bakerloo takes a different path to the Metropolitan/Circle.
(Bakerloo Edgware Rd and Marylebone are a bit like Mornington Crescent,
would anyone argue that the latter wasn't on a separate route?).

Barons Court to South Ken on the Piccadilly is like the Baker St/Finchley
Rd section; whether it's one route or two will depend on the small print
in the definition.

I'd have said two, as it is basically two physically separate sections of
track.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."