Old June 5th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default tunnel routes

Richard J. wrote in message
:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see
a map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South
Kensington station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite
good if you want to check on a particular location. You need to
combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the
area concerned.

The best map I've found for showing the geographical routes of the tube
lines is an NCP London Parking Guide map that I picked up free at the Motor
Show a few years ago.

An excerpt of the section north-east of South Kensington is at
http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/SouthKen.jpg - this certainly shows one
S bend between ALexander Road and Cromwell Road, and another very tight bend
(although only a single bend) immediately east of South Kensington station.

The map shows how accurately the earlier lines followed the routes of roads
above them.