Old June 5th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default tunnel routes

Martin Underwood wrote:
Richard J. wrote in message
:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of
the tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to
see a map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South
Kensington station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite
good if you want to check on a particular location. You need to
combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the
area concerned.

The best map I've found for showing the geographical routes of the
tube lines is an NCP London Parking Guide map that I picked up free
at the Motor Show a few years ago.

An excerpt of the section north-east of South Kensington is at
http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/SouthKen.jpg - this certainly
shows one S bend between ALexander Road and Cromwell Road, and
another very tight bend (although only a single bend) immediately
east of South Kensington station.

I didn't realise that map was still being updated. I have a 1956
version of the same map in Bartholomew's Central London Atlas-Guide. I
notice that your version, like mine, still has "South Kensington Stas.",
dating from the time when the Piccadilly station was separate from the
District. Yes, it is quite good, though not completely accurate at
South Ken. What route does it show for the Jubilee Line between Baker
Street and Bond Street? It should show it passing under Park Square
near Regents Park station.

--
Richard J.