Old June 5th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default What does "No Stopping" mean?

Keith Raeburn wrote:
Some bus stops - probably almost all those on main roads - are "Bus
Stop Clearways" where all stopping is banned as on a Red Route, even
where the road it's on is not otherwise a Red Route. The "Bus stop
clearway" runs for the length of the bus stop, marked on the road
with a thick yellow line and the rules reinforced by a timeplate.

As I understand it, it's not a Bus Stop Clearway unless both the thick
yellow line and the timeplate are present, which at least makes it clear
to the driver that he mustn't stop there, though he may have to stop in
order to read the plate! The Highway Code is not very good on this, as
it mentions Bus Stop Clearways without saying how you recognise one
compared with an ordinary bus stop.
--
Richard J.