Old June 6th 06, 07:45 AM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John B John B is offline

Default New evening ticket restrictions from King's Cross to Cambridge

Roland Perry wrote:
According to a new leaflet "Ticket Changes from 11th June 2006",

The new timetable starts then.

from that date "the return portion of Cheap Day return, One (sic) Day
Travelcard (off-peak), Family Travelcard and DaySave tickets are no
longer valid on services departing from [King's Cross and Moorgate]
between 1630 and 1901 Monday to Friday.

Are Network Card discounted tickets still OK?

I tried to look this up, but weirdly, the FCC website doesn't seem to
have the new restrictions loaded - if you search for tickets from
Cambridge to London on Fri June 16, it's happy to sell you CDRs and
SVRs on FCC with the return leg during the 'banned' hours.

(I recommend taking advantage of this if you need to make the relevant
journey - while the tickets will technically be invalid, there is
absolutely no way the company could get away with enforcing this).

AFAIK every other peak-evening restriction does still allow Network
Card tickets, although of course you need to buy a Network Card SDR not
a CDR.

Similar restrictions have been introduced to Peterborough and on the
Thameslink route to Bedford.

MML still accept off-peak Travelcards in the evening rush, so this may
shift even more of the Luton/Bedford crowd off Thameslink and onto MML.

....although possibly not for very long; certainly if I were an MML
manager I'd be looking at bringing my rules into line with FCC's.

It seems a bit of a draconian restriction set for a surburban operator
- the FGW rule where cheap tickets can only be used on slow trains
(effectively also the case on the WCML with the Virgin/Silverlink
split) is more reasonable.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org