Old June 6th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default tunnel routes

Richard J. wrote:
eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see a
map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South Kensington
station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite good
if you want to check on a particular location. You need to combine a
tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the area
concerned.

I was interested in the Track Map, which is based on Quail, and repeats
something from Quail which I have wondered about for a while. That is,
both show one track of the Victoria line crossing over the top of the
Bakerloo north and south of Oxford Circus.

Is this really correct or is it a repetition of a mistake? The reasons
why I doubt it are

1) It's easier to dig under an existing tunnel than over one, I would
have thought.

2) The Bakerloo is relatively near the surface under Portland Place
already.

3) The Victoria has to drop a very long way before Warren Street, and I
think a bit before Green Park, so it would seem odd for one track to go
upwards first in either case.

4) The northern end is contradicted by the famous 3 D artist's
impression of Oxford Circus.