Old June 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Shoreditch RIP

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

Nick Pedley wrote:

Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will
close permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

Out of interest, did they ever consider running the ELL services into
Liverpool Street for all the mainline connections and the direct link
to the City for all the workers? Or was there too much mainline traffic
to allow this?

Well that's what the line originally did but I guess it proved too messy
to justify given the traffic involved. Putting it back now would take at
least one much needed platform at Liverpool Street and create more
pressure on one of the most congested sections of track in London.

I believe it's not a matter of platform so much as track capacity -
remember you've got the whole of the Great Eastern and West Anglia lines,
with long-distance and rather busy suburban services on both, on four
tracks.

tom

--
It's amazing how often conversations with you have the imaginary sound
of human bones being crushed to rubble in the background. -- itchyfidget,