Old June 8th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neillw001 Neillw001 is offline

Default Overheating on the Tube

Kev wrote:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/engla...on/5058362.stm

LU's managing director Tim O'Toole said: "There is no one overall
solution to heat on the Tube but significant progress is now being
made.

I thought that Tim O'Toole's solution was for everybody to take a
shower in the morning.

Kevin

I've been on underground lines in other countries that get as hot or
hotter than London does in the summer and have never noticed any undue
heat. I think a lot of it has to do with the original constuctions
methods. Some places such as Budapest and Paris are cut and cover, with
the stations not far below the surface. But both these were constructed
not long after London and I've never found them to be as hot as parts
of the District/Circle in high summer. The Paris stations are quite
large, but many of the Budapest one are rather small.
If you need to look at the difference, take a trip to Athens. Some of
the newer stations there are large and airy, airconditioned and with
wide platforms. The trains are larger than London tube trains as well,
and you never feel hot, despite the higher temperatures outside.
Obviously you cannot rebuild the entire LU, but if we are to get hotter
summers some though must be given to the comfort of passengers. The
stations on the Jubille Line extension are a good starting point.People
tend to remember an uncomfortable journey on a hot day for longer than
they do one on a cold day when the heat below ground is more welcoming.

Neill