Old June 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Shoreditch RIP

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:46:21 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
snippitty
The ELLX may look odd on its own. The real issue is the service pattern
to be provided over the whole set of TfL inherited routes. Thankfully
there is already some innovative thinking going on which provides a
range of through journeys not available at present.

Somewhat off topic I know, but mention of the TfL inherited routes made me
wonder if anyone knows what the situation with TfL staff passes will be once
the routes pass to TfL control, will these lines become available to staff
passes?

I doubt very much that that has yet been considered. I would expect the
TUs to add it to the list of items for negotiation but the fact the
routes are effectively a concession or franchise does not bode well.

There have been very few positive changes to the staff pass or priv
ticket validities since rail privatisation. The usual reasons are money
and reciprocation of benefit for National Rail franchise / Network Rail
employees. The relative sizes of the employee groupings in TfL vs
Network Rail and the TOCs always tilts the cost / benefit balance in
favour of NR and the TOCs and away from TfL.

I don't see much reason for TfL to extend staff pass validity to these
services when they do not own the infrastructure, the vehicles or
directly employ the staff. The nearest parallel is DLR and I am not at
all sure how it works there - do the people maintaining the Lewisham
extension have TfL staff pass validity given they are employed by a
private infrastructure company and no direct relationship with DLR Ltd
or even Serco as the DLR operator?

--
Paul C