Old June 8th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Overheating on the Tube

On 8 Jun 2006 03:58:42 -0700, "Kev" wrote:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/engla...on/5058362.stm

LU's managing director Tim O'Toole said: "There is no one overall
solution to heat on the Tube but significant progress is now being
made.

I thought that Tim O'Toole's solution was for everybody to take a
shower in the morning.

I think that was a quote taken somewhat out of context.

Interestingly (!) I got caught in a 15 delay between St James Park and
Victoria this evening. This was due a passenger ill on a train at Sloane
Square. The driver gave us what advice / information he could and we
knew that a doctor was on the scene at Sloane Square.

In the carriage I was in a young chap said he was hot, then that he
couldn't breath and then was starting to panic somewhat. This then made
his breathing problem (appear) even worse. The passengers nearest him
did what they could to cool him down with water and by fanning him. A
qualified first aider then came along and sat him down and got him to
breath in a controlled manner. He got off at Victoria with the first
aider and some assistance was sought from the platform staff.

I haven't witnessed that sort of situation before (with heat) and I was
a little surprised to see how the panic built up in just one person so
quickly. It also led me to consider what would have happened if the
train had been very full (it wasn't thankfully) and been stuck for much
longer.

I will be giving some feedback on my experience to the Line Manager as I
think some more frequent announcements from the driver and a better view
of timescales (hard I know in such cases) might have calmed matters
down.

--
Paul C