Old June 11th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mookie89 mookie89 is offline

Default Colossal temperatures on bus

"Roy Stilling" wrote in message
.uk...
Marc Brett wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:35:13 GMT, "Alan OBrien"
wrote:

On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not?
Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

Does painting the roof white help with inside temperatures? I've noticed
many
new buses have this feature.

There was an article in last night's Standard that said TfL have
concluded it doesn't make a difference.

Roy

PMFJI ~ I ran a large fleet of public school (yellow) buses in the States
for 30 years. When it became OK to paint the rooftops white, many studies
were conducted to see if it helped the temps. There were as many
conclusions as there were studies. The largest benefactor appeared to be
the white paint manufacturer. However, a semi-common thread amongst all the
studies I was aware of said that if three things were used in tandem, then
there may be up to a three degree drop in perceived temperature.

1. Roof painted white
2. Windows tinted to at least 28% reduction in light transmission
3. Air circulation via front and rear roof vents (air in front - exhaust
out rear)

So there you have it, the ubiquitous wind chill factor. Hope this helps.

Rich