Old September 26th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Hello from New York

(Knotso) wrote in message ...
I'm visiting London in a month -- for the first time -- and staying with a
friend who lives in Greenwich. Pondering the tube map from Heathrow, it appears
to be something like a 2-hour ride from the airport, to Green Park, to the
Jubilee line to South Greenwich. But then, I have no benchmark to judge how
long a ride it really is. Can anyone provide an estimate?

From the airport to Green Park is about 1 hour , maybe a bit longer. Then from
Green Park to Greenwich is about 15 - 20 minutes depending on the time of
day. This is of curse assuming there isn't the usual balls up on either line.

Well, it should be an eye-opener riding the London tube for the first time
after 3 years of living with New York subways. Anyone with experience commuting
on both transit systems who can venture opinions about the differences between
the two cities?

The MTA in new york can actually manage to run a reasonable service. LU can't.
In london there are forever delays , trains being reversed before they've
got to their destination because the train (ie driver) is running late (wants
to get home for tea), stations being closed because of some lift or escalator
not working, incorrect train arrival indicators and so on. Don't ever rely on
the tube to get you to your destination on time and this especially applies
when you're going to the airport on it.
Sorry , if this sounds negative but I'm a londoner and I've ridden on many
metro systems (including the NYC subway many times) around the world and IMO
the tube is one of the worst run and managed I've ever come across plus its
the most expensive.

B2003