Old June 14th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default New style barriers and fare evasion

Jonathan Morris wrote:

Sure, they're smaller which means more barriers, but they open so slow
that they;

They're also of poor quality, or seem so. I don't believe they will
last.

However, on the tailgating issue, that's easily done on the old-style
LUL barriers. I have once or twice done it by accident when my ticket
didn't, for whatever reason, activate the barrier correctly, such as a
damaged magstripe, or where the person in front's ticket didn't work
properly but mine (inadvertently) let both through.

It may be considered acceptable to allow a small percentage of
fraudsters, but this is infuriating - especially on overcrowded trains
or buses that wouldn't necessarily have to BE so crowded if you could
remove the free-riders.

I would think that most fare-dodgers would travel anyway, and are just
trying to get for free a ride they would take anyway.

It certainly used to be the case that a lot of people would make a
"business decision" to fare dodge on unbarriered systems like
Manchester Metrolink, as a 20 quid penalty every couple of weeks was
cheaper than a season ticket. It was even more "favourable" when the
PF used to be a tenner.

Neil