Old June 14th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
andy roberts andy roberts is offline

Default Zone One extension ?

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:24:02 +0100, andy roberts
wrote:

I have a monthly zone 2-3 travelcard on my Oyster but I'd like to pass
through zone 1 occasionally, via the mainline terminals at London Bridge
and Liverpool Street, without paying twice for the rest of my journey.

I think this will become asier once pre-pay is valid on NR but meanwhile
are there extension zone tickets available or else what's the best way?

I already discovered that a single ticket from LivP to Stratford is
£3.00 , but with pre-pay I'd have to jump off the train, swipe, and
jump back on again. That seems a bit crazy, so I'm stumped as to what's
the best thing to do. Any suggestions?

Am I right in assuming that you are travelling into Liverpool St on a NR
train which does not necessarily stop at Stratford?

Sorry, I should have provided a bit more information, trying to avoid
being too long winded.

I'm communting between Northeast and Southeast London, mostly using the
tube and buses. If I go via NR and through the central terminals it
costs about £99 pm but I'm currently experimenting with a £55 pm
zone2-3 ticket instead. It makes an interesting change and is quicker
than I expected, slightly more so since Shoreditch station closed
forever last Saturday.

Anyway, I'd like to able to venture into central London on foot from
Whitechapel, for example (zone 2) and then catch a train home to Forest
Gate or Manor Park 3 from Liverpool St. Maybe I would catch a train from
New Cross or New Cross Gate into London Bridge on another occasion. The
problem is to have a valid ticket for passing through the zone 1
terminals perhaps once a week or so, without incurring costs which eat
away all of the difference between the z1-3 and z2-3 monthly passes.

I'm sure it used to be possible to buy something called a zone extension
but Im assured that this doesn't currently exist.

If you would clarify the exact trips you make then it may (!) be easier
to sort out a solution. I have to say that I think this is likely to be
difficult though!

Thanks for taking the trouble to think about it.

--
Andy Roberts