Old June 15th 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Oyster fare evasion

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Richard M Willis wrote:

It is my understanding that the Oyster Fare between any two stations on
the LUL network is the cheapest, even if you go out of zone to get there.
E.g. I've been told that Boston Manor to Uxbridge does not need to involve
zone 1 and so doesn't, even if you do go via Baker Street.

So Earls Court to Notting Hill Gate will charge for Zones 2+3 not 1 because
one can travel via Ealing Broadway?

No - it's not technically as Richard said. All that is certain is that
for certain pairs of stations, journeys are defined as using Zone 1 even
if a route avoiding Z1 would be possible. Earl's Court to Notting Hill
Gate is certainly one of those cases. I have also tried Shepherd's Bush
(Central) to Parsons Green, which is also defined as via Zone 1.

Someone else mentioned Harrow-on-the-Hill to Barons Court being defined
as via Z1 but H-o-t-H to Ravenscourt Park *not* being defined in that way.

I imagine the current fares system will be swept aside by something else
once Oyster becomes de facto for rail as well as LU.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7