Old June 20th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster fare evasion

asdf wrote:
Sorry, forgot to answer one point:

So what about the following example. I live between Woodford and South
Woodford, and feel like a trip round the Circle Line. So I touch in at
Woodford, travel into London and go once round the Circle, then back
out to South Woodford, where I touch out and walk home. Assuming the
time limit for the journey doesn't get in the way, I pay only the
Woodford to South Woodford fare. Is this fare evasion?

It's a bit of a contrived example...

Perhaps, but I was considering a similar, "real" case (though only on
a theoretical basis) on the day of the Shoreditch last run. (Though I
didn't go in the end.)

Well, someone mentioned "trainspotters". What does happen if you don't
leave the station, but just sit with your egg sandwiches at Acton Town?
Or if you eventually leave, but outside of the two hours? Lots of
unresolved journeys?

Or what if you travel from Woodford just to meet someone and help with
their luggage when they get off the Piccadilly at Barons Court, before
travelling with them back to South Woodford?

There are many examples of not leaving the system that are sufficiently
possible that tens of people must do them every week.