Old June 21st 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

JMUpton2000 wrote:

Something I wondered as I took a rare journey north of Baker Street on the
Jubilee Line the other day.

The on board scrolling displays and the tube maps say it is spelt St
John's Wood with apostrophe but the platform roundels omit it.

So which is right?

Both, neither who knows.

On Wikipedia the principle that a lot are generally happy with (at least the
last time I'm aware this came up) is to use the current tube map spelling on
the basis that station decorations take a lot longer to change and some
platforms use multiple stations (e.g. King's Cross St. Pancras
Circle/H&C/Met) so this is the only real consistent standard.