Old June 21st 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard M Willis Richard M Willis is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

"JMUpton2000" securitynovels @ freeuk.com wrote in message
reenews.net...
Something I wondered as I took a rare journey north of Baker Street on the
Jubilee Line the other day.

The on board scrolling displays and the tube maps say it is spelt St

John's
Wood with apostrophe but the platform roundels omit it.

So which is right?

Both and Neither. LUL stations are full of anomalies like this.
D Rose's Diagrammatic History has notes on the subject. There are
many places where station names have mutated and had the "suffix gradually
dropped".

E.g. Totteridge and Whetstone is called simply Totteridge on the actual
station; there is no mention of "and Whetstone" in the station's
name anywhere at that station other than on the system-wide maps.

Regards
John M Upton