Old June 24th 06, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stagecoach London Sale

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

What about the rest of us?! Cambridge has an effective Stagecoach
monopoly.

As far as I can tell, it also has modern vehicles running a
comprehensive and frequent City route network, except evenings and
Sundays which seem much more limited. (But I could be wrong, you're
on the spot, of course and may tell a different story.)

Would having a selections of separate bus companies somehow make
Cambridge's bus provision better? Or would they all have third-hand
Darts or even Nationals running around on unpredictable routes
changing every few weeks and with no destinations shown or
timetables available?

A fair point evidenced by the ancient vehicles the few competing
operators do use (mainly on rural routes into the City). However,
Stagecoach has some all too similar vehicles on subsidised rural routes
The worst of all seem to be the Ensignbus group vehicles on their
station shuttle and tour buses.

The whole of central Cambridge is an Air Quality Management Zone. There
is talk of refusing transponders allowing access through the rising
bollards to buses not meeting environmental standards.

--
Colin Rosenstiel