Old June 24th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Matthew P Jones Matthew P Jones is offline

Default Reduction in Chiltern Services and Funding of Shared Met Line

Sat, 24 Jun 2006 -

[uk.transport.london added]

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:30:14 +0100, Matt Wheeler wrote:

Adding some reactions to comments, in no particular order

1 The cuts are significant. If people are to reach their
destinations on time, they would be forced to catch an earlier train.
These earlier trains are already heavily loaded with standing all the
way. This will not only affect people at Amersham, but those further
down the line will suffer more over crowding.

2 the Chiltern services are far superior to the current Met
service. However, if people have to transfer to met trains, then
although they may be relatively empty out in the country, past Harrow
they are already crowded and would have to take more passengers. One of
the reasons Marylebone was not closed in the 1980s was because Baker
Street could not take the extra passengers, but there is now a danger it
will have to.

3 The new S stock will not arrive until 2009. There is some doubt
about the seating. Thus, although they may be faster than current A
stock with better climate control, will people use them if there are
fewer seats and if the seats are sideways along the carriage?

4 It is stated ion the thread Chiltern receive no revenue from the
met stations, but my point was, is this actually correct? I had heard
in the past it was a straight 50/50 share - what is the real situation?

5 I confirm, my point was none of the extra capacity at Marylebone
is being used for the Aylesbury line. How can Chiltern be allowed to
expand if they cannot currently serve their existing passengers. I
wonder if there new express services to the Midlands take off, will
stations such as Denham, Gerrards Cross, and other inner stations suffer
a reduced service to make way for longer distance travellers.

6 My rational for the suggesting that fares north of Amersham
would go up if Met stations were not served is based on the fact that
fares to Amersham are on the LUL scale. Chiltern can not put fares to
much higher at great Missenden, about 4 miles from Amersham, as if they
did, people would travel to Amersham instead. Remove the possibility of
people using Amersham for cheaper fares and they can put their fares up.

7 I would suggest Oyster could cope with charging a premium for
journeys starting and stopping at Marylebone. Use of intermediate
stations could not be done, but I should think most revenue would be
received at Marylebone anyway. I think inter train company ticketing
would still survive, one would just consider Chiltern a "first class"
service, thus you can use your ticket if you have paid for the first
class service.
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it