Old June 24th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Finchley Central gates

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
steve wrote:
Alan OBrien wrote:
Why are there no automatic ticket gates on the Station Road side of Finchley
Central Underground Station?

Something to do with the bridge being too light.

I think the intention was to put them on the bit between the end
of the bridge and the pavement, but that they discovered an unexpected
gas main when they started the work.

Also, the ticket inspectors stop people on the stairs rather than
station road - blocking all including those that intend to use the gates.

Last few times I've seen inspectors, they've been lurking by the
touch-in/out pads, and only stopped people who didn't touch in or
out.

Last time I was there they were blocking the southbound stairs and the
gates were closed.