Old June 26th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] adrian_h_hudson@yahoo.com is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

wrote:
Tristán White wrote:

If it's Greek, it's always S'

If it's not, it's up to the individual as long as he or she is
consistent throughout.

Therefore, always Achilles' heel, Eros' statue, Nikolaidis' penalty
shot, Stavros' kebab house, Bacchus' wine, Androcles' lion, but if it's
not Greek, you can say James's Square or James' Square as long as it's
consistent throughout.

Whilst agreeing with almost everyting you have written, your final
paragraph is somewhat contentious. It would imply that Jesus was Greek!

I am always consistent in omitting the final "s", and as a rule that
cannot be faulted.

Marc.

We take out English name Jesus (I assume you refer to Jesus of
Nazareth) from his name in the Koine Grecian dialect. The Hebrew
(Y'shua) translates into Joshua.

Adrian.