Old June 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Solario Solario is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
"thoss" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 wrote:
the normal English grammar rules for
apostrophes are generally dropped on street name signs

Why?

In general, all punctuation and diacritical marks are dropped to make signs
and addresses as easy to read/write as possible. Therefore "St. John's"
becomes "St Johns" (notice the two changes). At least where English is the
common language; I assume in languages where accents and such are used more
frequently, signmakers are more tolerant of them

I can't think of any roads near me with missing apostrophes, but there's a
Maņana Road near me, and the city and post office both write it as "Manana
Rd" to keep things simple (though it's "Maņana Rd" on highway signs).

There is a road through Beverly Hills, its name is spelt variously
"Caņon Drive" and "Canon Drive".

Adrian.