Old June 27th 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

In message .com, at
09:00:55 on Tue, 27 Jun 2006, remarked:
However, the official royal website calls the palace, St. James's
Palace.

And all the old maps I have ever found (going back centuries) also use
that spelling (for the palace and nearby roads, churches etc).

So the question is: Do cartographers follow street signposting
conventions, or, do they "correct" the spelling of street names
back into their normal English form?

I doubt if the old maps I have are derived from street signage.

Moreover, has cartographic practice, in this respect, changed over
time?

If there's a dispute between the cartographer's long term understanding
of what a street is called, and what the council puts a sign up saying,
I expect they have a dialogue.