Old June 28th 06, 06:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

In message , Roland Perry
writes

In message , at
08:21:09 on Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Ned Carlson
remarked:

However, the official royal website calls the palace, St. James's
Palace.

And all the old maps I have ever found (going back centuries) also use
that spelling (for the palace and nearby roads, churches etc).

If you go back far enough, you will arrive at the pre-apostropheic age:
for instance, John Norden's plan of c.1600 gives "Saint James Parke".

But I certainly agree that "James's" appears on most maps after that
date, once the apostrophe had become an accepted device.
--
Paul Terry