Old June 29th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default LUL false advertising

Richard M Willis wrote:
Yebbut if you get caught not touching in, you may end up with a £20
Penalty Fare. That might not be 'best'...

Do you have to touch in if you are using a travelcard, rather than
PrePay ? I thought it was only PP users who had to touch all over the
place ?

Only PAYG users need to touch in. An Oyster travelcard is the same as a
paper card - it will open barriers where needed, and must be presented
to a revenue inspector for reading, but that's it.

However, if you have an Oyster travelcard and go out-of-zone without
previously having touched in, you can be issued with a £20 PF (eg if I
get on the Victoria Line at unbarriered Finsbury Park with a Z12 and
without touching in, and then head to Walthamstow).

So technically, the "always touch in and out for the best fare" advice
does apply people with Oyster travelcards as well, I guess...

Can't someone come up with a better verb than "touch" ?

"hold near"?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org