Old June 29th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Peter Lawrence Peter Lawrence is offline

Default Shepherd's Bush WLL

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:15:01 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Further to a previous discussion on u.t.london in which I mentioned how
the new West London Line station at Shepherd's Bush station is
progressing, I've noticed something odd about it - the northbound
(down?) platform is being constructed on either side of the
bi-directional southbound signal on that side of the line!

This seems rather odd - there will either be a signal in the middle of
the platform, or the signal is being moved elsewhere - something which I
thought was not meant to be happening until renewal is due in a few
years' time. Any ideas?

Maybe there is now no safety objection to a signal in mid-platform
since slam doors have gone. If the signal is at danger the train will
stop there but the doors will not open; when it clears the train must
move on to the platform end for the station stop. This is inefficient
but not unsafe. Since the signal is for 'wrong line' movement, the
need to stop at it may never occur anyhow!

--
Peter Lawrence