Old June 29th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Richard Rundle wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Rundle wrote:

want to look at British Standard BS7666.

Thank you. I did a Google search on "British Standard BS7666".
It returned some excellent information about UK Mailing Address
structures. I noted the absence of punctuation. However, I
didn't notice anything directly relating to street name sign
posting. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper.

This was great information.

It's more to do with geographic address than postal addresses

Indeed, that was apparent. This standard looks as if it could be a
real help in real estate transactions. I am thinking in terms of
both statutory bodies and real estate agents.

Some of the elements (fields) laid out in the standard are very
similar to those required in a UK mailing address. The odd one is
were a unitary authority may be required instead of a County. Then,
again the use of counties in UK addresses is unusual compared with
other territories and inconsistent. E.g. So many postal towns now
longer need to be qualified by a county.

*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be included. I find it
irritating when websites ask for your address with the county as a
mandatory field. Many of them will not accept an address in the form
123 Xyz Road, London, [postcode]. You are forced either to enter London
twice or to insert an unnecessary district name such as Acton in place
of the town name.
--
Richard J.

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian (the new region)?What happened to
those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?