Old September 28th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Is the CTRL the first new railway in Britian since 1900?

In article , gwr4090
wrote:
In article ,
Michael Bell wrote:
The publicity about the CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail Link) says
"The CTRL is the first new main-line railway in Britian since 1900"
But is this really true? Wasn't the by-pass round the Selby coalfield
a totally new main-line railway? When was it built? 1970s? How long
is it?

It is not true. Several hundred miles of main line railway were built by
the GWR between 1900 and 1915.

David

David

Thanks for that, but can I have details? I want to write letters to
the papers (especially the Guardian, which is especially hot on correcting
mistakes and straightening out spin and hype) to point out that this
not correct.

regards

Michael