Old June 30th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shepherd's Bush WLL

In article ,
(Peter Masson) wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Maybe there is now no safety objection to a signal in mid-platform
since slam doors have gone. If the signal is at danger the train
will stop there but the doors will not open; when it clears the train
must move on to the platform end for the station stop. This is
inefficient but not unsafe. Since the signal is for 'wrong line'
movement, the need to stop at it may never occur anyhow!

AIUI the rule book now requires a train not booked to stop at a
platform, but which is required to stop by a signal at the platform
end, to stop immediately before the platform until the signal clears.
I recently travelled out of Paddington on a Sunday, when the Up and
Down Main were closed for relaying. The Down Relief signal at Hayes
was red to protect an up HEx crossing from the Airport branch to the
Up Relief, and we stopped short of the platform until the signal
cleared.

That doesn't seem to be the practice at Hitchin. Non-stopping up trains
from the Cambridge branch regularly seem to stop at the platform.

--
Colin Rosenstiel