Old June 30th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
[email protected] adrian_h_hudson@yahoo.com is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

Charles Ellson wrote:
On 29 Jun 2006 16:29:00 -0700, "Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS"
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:

*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be included. I find it
irritating when websites ask for your address with the county as a
mandatory field. Many of them will not accept an address in the form
123 Xyz Road, London, [postcode]. You are forced either to enter London
twice or to insert an unnecessary district name such as Acton in place
of the town name.

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian

Neither, most cities didn't need to be further qualified with a county
name in an address. Edinburgh was and is generally in Midlothian for
those contexts which require a county.

(the new region)?

The now defunct (for several years) region.

What happened to those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?

Excepted in what way ?
--

Let me endeavor to explain: I misunderstood the function of the
asterisks in "*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be

However, a second reading leads me to believe that Richard J meant "No
UK postal addresses now need the county to be included". This being
the exact opposite meaning. So Milton Keynes is not an exception
because, now, no postal towns need to be qualified by a county name.

Thank you for expalaining that the Scottish regions have gone. They
never seamed very meaningful to me. I much preferred the counties.
Are the counties back? What happened to Strathclyde? Am I right in
thinking there is still a Strathclyde PTE?

Thanks

Adrian, http://www.losangelesmetro.net/author/