Old July 1st 06, 12:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

On 30 Jun 2006 16:44:34 -0700, wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
On 30 Jun 2006 10:42:51 -0700,
wrote:

IMU no local
authority devoid of subsidiary authorities is currently classified as
a "county" for local government purposes, although other bits of
officialdom or semi-officialdom might continue to do so.
--
_______

Isn't the Isle of Wight a County devoid of subsidiary components?

The only current mention of "county" seems to be in the name of their
HQ which seems to be basically a case of not "fixing" an established
address. It has actually got "subsidiary authorities" in the form of
town/community councils (which I'd forgotten about) but not in the
form which I had in mind of authorities which provide day-to-day
council services (e.g. roads, rubbish, welfare, etc.).
--
_______
| Charles Ellson:
| // \\ |