Old July 1st 06, 12:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

On 30 Jun 2006 16:41:09 -0700, wrote:

snip

Thank you for expalaining that the Scottish regions have gone. They
never seamed very meaningful to me. I much preferred the counties.
Are the counties back?

All are now single tier "Councils" in "Council Areas", some of which
bear a remarkable similarity to the traditional cities and counties.

What happened to Strathclyde?

Generally, functions passed to what were the district councils with
"joint boards" (formed with reps from councils) to manage what
remained from districts+regions days, mainly fire and police.

Am I right in thinking there is still a Strathclyde PTE?

No, there's now a "son of", see:-
http://www.spt.co.uk/about/index.html
although there's possibly not much difference to the passengers.

The only "next-nearest-to-a-PTE" (buses-only public authority
transport operator) in Scotland seems now to be trading as Lothian
Buses:-
http://www.lothianbuses.co.uk/
which unless I've missed something is the jointly-owned (East, West
and Mid-Lothian councils) Lothian Region Transport in disguise.

--
_______