Old July 1st 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
MIG MIG is offline

Default The best non-interchange interchanges

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:03:21 +0100, "Richard M Willis"
wrote:

"asdf" wrote in message .

Regent's Park is closing for a year for lift replacement. One thing
that struck me as odd is that although it's practically across the
road from Great Portland Street, TfL are advising passengers to use
Baker Street (700m away) as an alternative during the closure. (Though
they do also mention GPS, almost as an afterthought.)

The reason they are advertising BS (rather than GPS) as an alternative
to Regent's Park is that BS is served by the bakerloo line whereas GPS is
not.

If you wanted to go from Regent's Park to, say, Waterloo, and RP was closed,
going to GPS and making your way to Waterloo from there would be painful.

Baker Street also provides a greater number of platforms (10) than
Great Portland Street (2) around which the displaced RP passengers can
be dispersed. While regulars are likely to use G.P.St. if it is
appropriate to them, Baker Street would seem to be the better place to
send those who are likely to be more navigationally challenged (e.g.
tourists and infrequent travellers).

I wonder if we should also have had a thread on the worst interchange
non-interchanges, like Charing Cross/Trafalgar Square, Canary Whart,
Waterloo, London Bridge ...

Actually, Baker Street is an awful interchange as well if you want to
get from the Circle to the Bakerloo.

Bank is awful unless you disobey all signs. For example, the DLR is
two levels below the Central, and yet they direct you to walk up stairs
to get to it from the Central.