Old July 2nd 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default The best non-interchange interchanges

Dave Arquati wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article om,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Putney NR to East Putney (District Line Wimbledon Branch)

Ugh! They're not very close. What journey combination would it be useful
for?

Local journeys from points west on SWT to places on the District branch
- e.g. Twickenham to Fulham Broadway? I'd probably opt for the bus from
Putney NR instead in that case, but some people prefer a Tube/train option.

Perhaps it's a journey that might be quicker on rails compared to bus
during the rush hour, I don't know.

Similarly the Putney-East Putney change could be used for a Mortlake to
Wimbledon journey, for example. Perhaps it's quicker to stay on SWT
changing at Clapham Junction, perhaps the time difference is negligable
though, and changing at Putney would avoid zone 2 so could work out
cheaper for season ticket holders (and in the future presumably cheaper
for Oyster Pre-Pay users once NR starts fully accepting it).

Which takes me back to Colin's original point - IMO the stations are
pretty close, a ten minute walk at the most. Many of the other
"non-interchanges" I've included on the list are the same sort of
distance apart.

I guess it's up to personal preference, but I'd have no problem walking
between any of them, as long as I had some idea where which way to go -
one use of the very welcome TfL locality maps at stations. Anyway I
enjoy walking a lot, as I do cycling, and both are important modes of
transport on my books, perhaps somewhat underlooked on this newsgroup.
I'm glad that catering for them seem to be being taken more and more
seriously by TfL.