Old July 3rd 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Chris Tolley Chris Tolley is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

Dik T. Winter wrote:

What is plural in one language can very well become singular in
another language. Whether it was plural in the original lanuage does
not matter very much.

Generally, I agree. But some specific cases do get up my nose. e.g. I
couldn't care less when people talk about the operas they have seen
(opera being a Latin plural of opus). But for some reason it irritates
me when one of those Afghani fundamentalist Muslims isn't called a
"taleb". (Though on the scale of linguistic irritation, that does come
lower than when people talk about "one pence coins").
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309738.html
(47 365 at Birmingham New Street, 15 Sep 1979)