Old July 3rd 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
furnessvale furnessvale is offline

Default What is the jurisdiction of the BTP?

wrote:
I only ask because I thought they only had their police powers on railway
property and a few other transport related areas (but specifically NOT roads).
However the other day I saw a BTP marked car pull over an elderly motorist on
a main road.
Are they allowed to do this or should they have called the local plod to
do it for them? If they do have police powers outside their usual areas
does this now extend to anywhere in the country (given they're a nationwide
force)?

B2003

The jurisdiction always used to be, "In, on and in the vicinity of
premises and elsewhere in matters affecting the Board (BRB)". Within
that jurisdiction they have full police powers. Properly used, the
combination of jurisdiction and powers covers the whole of England and
Wales (Scotland requires separate oath swearing).

I cannot imagine that any recent changes have reduced their powers.
For example, they may have needed to stop the elderly motorist as he
had left premises in suspicious circumstances. Who knows he may have
had a stolen class 47 in his boot!
George