Old July 3rd 06, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Richard M Willis Richard M Willis is offline

Default What is the jurisdiction of the BTP?

wrote in message
I only ask because I thought they only had their police powers on railway
property and a few other transport related areas (but specifically NOT

roads).
However the other day I saw a BTP marked car pull over an elderly motorist

on
a main road.
Are they allowed to do this or should they have called the local plod

do it for them? If they do have police powers outside their usual areas
does this now extend to anywhere in the country (given they're a

nationwide
force)?

Any Police Officer in any force in the UK has has jurisdiction anywhere in
the UK. They may, for operational reasons, be instructed to leave certain
types of offences/incidents to the "local" plod.

If fact, doesn't any EU Police Officer have jurisdiction in the UK as well,
for
offences that were allegedly committed on their home soil ?

Richard [in SG19]