Old July 3rd 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Richard M Willis Richard M Willis is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:16:52 on
Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Richard M Willis
remarked:
What is wrong with "one pence coins" ?

Linguistically should be "One Penny coins", and whatever the merits of
an argument that the currency is called Pounds and Pence (of which the
coin has a value of Zero pounds and one pence), the coin *does* have
"One Penny" written on it.

Hmm. I measure things in metres, centimetres and millimetres. I don't call
this "m AND cm AND mm". Consequently, I would call our currency pounds xor
pence.

"penny" does not exist as far as I am concerned.
"one-pence coin","one-hundred-pence coin", "one-deci-pound coin",
"five-hundred-pence note" are all valid in the same

way that a "one-centimetre rule" or a "one-hundred-centimetre box" are all
valid.

Richard [in SG19]

And you wouldn't call a £1 coin a "One Pounds Coin", would you? (Which
you would by analogy with "Pounds and Pence")