Old July 3rd 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:31:02 +0100, "Richard M Willis"
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:16:52 on
Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Richard M Willis
remarked:
What is wrong with "one pence coins" ?

Linguistically should be "One Penny coins", and whatever the merits of
an argument that the currency is called Pounds and Pence (of which the
coin has a value of Zero pounds and one pence), the coin *does* have
"One Penny" written on it.

Hmm. I measure things in metres, centimetres and millimetres. I don't call
this "m AND cm AND mm". Consequently, I would call our currency pounds xor
pence.

"penny" does not exist as far as I am concerned.

Simply wrong. It's the singular form of pence in the same way that
pound is the singular form of pounds.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com