Old July 3rd 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default The best non-interchange interchanges

asdf wrote:
On 2 Jul 2006 17:09:17 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Changing at Putney would still save money for Pre-Pay users in some
circumstances.

[...]

* via Clapham Junction
Single Richmond/zone 4 to Clapham Junction/zone 2 - £1.80
Single Clapham Junction/zone 2 to Wimbledon/zone 3 - £1.00
Total for one-way journey - £2.80

I was assuming that Clapham Junction would be an "official"
interchange, so you'd just be charged for a single Z234 journey (in
the same way that currently, if you travel from Park Royal to
Northwick Park using pre-pay, you don't get charged for separate Park
Royal - Rayners Lane and Rayners Lane - Northwick Park journeys just
because you changed trains there).

Yes, what you say is a perfectly logical assumption, which for some
reason I hadn't considered, and it (almost) completely destroys my
argument! I must've been thinking that the change of direction (as it
were) at Clapham Junction made a difference, but on re-thinking things,
it wouldn't.

So, as you say, the Richmond - Wimbledon Pre-Pay fare would
(presumably) be a zones 2-4 single at £1.80. Thus the only way that
the Putney to East Putney change would save money would be if it was
designated an 'official interchange', which I guess is unlikely.

And of course the change at Putney could mean season Travelcard holders
could avoid having to buy zone 2 validity.