Old July 4th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
victormeldrewsyoungerbrother victormeldrewsyoungerbrother is offline

Default Tube could close in future heatwaves

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

We're all getting too damn soft and the media don't help. When I was
a kid we just called it hot weather and got on with it. Now there are
endless announcements to carry water and if you believe the news
we're all about to suffer heat stroke. They'll be putting heat
councillors
on trains next :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

To some extent what you say about us getting soft is true. On the other
hand, when there was last a prolonged period of heat like this there
were 2000 deaths in this country and 11000 in France. Presumably, there
were as many, if not more, cases in the UK which required
hospitalization. So too remind us to take sensible precautions is not
stupid if it stops the NHS having to expend resources on treating
people unnecessarily.

It's a long, long time since I had to suffer the Tube in very hot
weather - it is over 30 years, in fact, since I was a regular commuter.
It was foul in those days - my understanding is that it is even more
crowded now than it was then and, of course, the more people there are,
the more heat is created just by the bodies.