Old July 5th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default London Terminals and Thameslink

asdf wrote:

Some of your questions are answered on page A5 of the NFM:

http://www.atoc.org/retail/_downloads/NFM/sectiona.pdf

Basically, a ticket to London Terminals is not valid for journeys to
or via Farringdon.

The appropriate ticket for journeys to or via Farringdon depends on
where you're travelling to, where you're travelling from, and whether
it's a season or a single/return.

Thanks for that, as far as I can see page A5 answers nearly all my
questions (though it doesn't entirely answer question (2)).

For the record I'll provide the answer to my own queries (quoted text
is from my original post)...

(1) A ticket from Herne Hill (south London) to London Terminals is
obviously valid to Blackfriars, am I correct in saying it's valid to
City Thameslink as well? I presume it's not valid any further north
than that.

Any ticket from the south to London Terminals is valid as far as City
Thameslink and no further.

(2) For travel from Herne Hill to Farringdon or Kings Cross Thameslink
presumably a ticket is issued with either of those specific
destinations named, is this the case?

For a journey to Farringdon the NFM says "where possible use specific
fares from Section B2 or C" - i.e. it would be issued to 'Farringdon
Und'. The NFM doesn't specifically say what to do if such a fare is
unavailable but on reading other information on the page I presume a
ticket to U1 would be issued.

The NFM does not specify what ticket would be issued for journeys from
the south to Kings Cross Thameslink - I'd be interested to know if it
would be issued to KX Thameslink specifically or just to U1. Does
anyone know for sure?

(3) When travelling from the north of the Thameslink route (say
Cricklewood) into central London, are tickets issued to 'London
Terminals' or to specific named stations (e.g. Kings Cross Thameslink /
City Thameslink)?

"From stations between Bedford and West Hampstead Thameslink inclusive,
tickets (other than Season Tickets) are available to London Thameslink
(NLC 4452) and such tickets are valid to ALL the stations on the map."

(The stations on the map are KX Thameslink, Farringdon, Barbican,
Moorgate, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant &
Castle.)

"Season tickets from stations between Bedford and West Hampstead
Thameslink inclusive must be issued to the customer's chosen named
station, e.g. King's Cross
Thameslink, Farringdon Und, Moorgate Und, London Bridge."

And if a passenger is coming from Luton on a ticket with the
destination 'London Terminals' can they go any further south on the
Thameslink route than Kings Cross Thameslink?

No, KX Thameslink is as far as they could go. Passengers who want to go
to the central London Thameslink stations would be sold a ticket to
'London Thameslink' as detailed above.

(4) 'London Thameslink' was mentioned in previous posts as a
destination - does this mean anything, or was it just a virtual
destination used for some reason solely during the Thameslink blockade?

Yes it means something - see the answer to question (3) above.