Old July 6th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default First Class within Zones 1-6

Jack Taylor wrote:

I'm assuming this is no longer the case, as the announcer on my
regular morning train from Waterloo to Feltham is always very
emphatic that passengers sitting in the first class area must have a
valid first class ticket.

Was it ever the case, or have I completely made this up in my mind?

You're possibly getting confused with the fact that SWT have often used
stock with first class accommodation on the Windsor lines on services
advertised as standard class only and it *may* (at the discretion of the
guard - although always, in practise, on class 450s by means of a PIS
message) be declassified on some services.

I'm reminded of some of the rows on Epsom to Waterloo services a decade ago
when the occasional slam door train was put on, complete with first class
compartments that weren't used on the standard only stock that was
otherwised for all services out of Epsom. Often passengers would crowd into
the first class compartments and ticket inspectors would shrug their
shoulders. Things could get messy when trains were taken out of service at
Wimbledon and everyone then piled onto the slam door trains that otherwise
ran fast on the Surbiton (?) line.