Old July 6th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default First Class within Zones 1-6

Jack Taylor wrote:

wrote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere, possibly on this group (but now
of course I can't find it), that within zones 1-6 there was no such
thing as first class, i.e. if you had a travelcard you could sit in
first class carriages on NR services up to the boundary of the zones
on your travelcard.

Not true.

I'm assuming this is no longer the case, as the announcer on my
regular morning train from Waterloo to Feltham is always very
emphatic that passengers sitting in the first class area must have a
valid first class ticket.

Was it ever the case, or have I completely made this up in my mind?

You're possibly getting confused with the fact that SWT have often used
stock with first class accommodation on the Windsor lines on services
advertised as standard class only and it *may* (at the discretion of the
guard - although always, in practise, on class 450s by means of a PIS
message) be declassified on some services.

I've read about this in the past on the uk.railway ng. It is apparently
OK to travel in so-called "declassified" first class accomodation *if*
the train is advertised as standard class only - the definition of it
being advertised seems a bit murky - it seems it can either be in
advertised in the timetable or on posters at stations.

It also sounds possible that you'll be be berated for doing this by a
guard or inspector who doesn't understand that first class has been
declassified for that particular service.

Courtesy of the Google Groups archive you can read a couple of posts
from 2004 concerning this, they are both from the same thread so you
can read around the issue a bit more there as well. Watch for the
screen-wrap on these long URLs...

Stevie D's post:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....501bb643d60293

Martin WY's post: