Old July 6th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mike Roebuck Mike Roebuck is offline

Default Tube could close in future heatwaves

Richard M Willis wrote:
"Mike Roebuck" wrote in message

Times have changed.

North Country Continental, Gresley buffet car, headed for Harwich,
December 1983:

"Please could I have some hot water to make up my baby son's bottle?"

"Certainly, Sir. That'll be 20p, please"

"You're joking, right?"

"No Sir, 20p please"

And he gave me a receipt for it!

Don't understand. If "times have changed" since 23 years ago, what is the
situation now ?

I was responding to Neil's comment that they won't supply tap water now
to parents with babies (before he qualified the comment in a later post
that hot water might be available in the form of a tea-less cup of
tea).

20p seems dirt cheap to me for heating a few 100ml of water.

I found it an absolute cheek and a rip-off at the time. I bet there
wasn't a single railway company in Europe other than BR, at the time,
who would have charged me for hot water for a baby's feed.

Of course, the amount I have to pay for my home water supply now is a
far bigger rip-off, and, again, another pecularly British thing.

--
Regards

Mike