Old July 6th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default London Terminals and Thameslink North Greenwich + Quickest route Greenwich to Vauxhall

Mizter T wrote:

I'm still curious about how the railway company (the Millwall Extension
Rly, which may have been subsidiary of sorts to the London & Blackwall
Rly) gave North Greenwich station it's name. My leaky memory has just
this moment recalled reading something about this in the past - I think
the suggestion was that the North Greenwich station name was an
'aspirational' one, i.e. it was trading on the good name of Greenwich
to the south of the river. Perhaps there were housebuilders involved in
the financing of the railway, or indeed the railway had their hand in
the property market. Or the railway just wanted to encourage people to
live in the area in order to build up patronage.

Was the foot tunnel in operation at the time? If so then the station may
have been named to attract passengers who wanted to go to Greenwich (as I
said Ryanair were hardly the first to do this sort of thing - see also
Wanstead Park).